If you are interested in financial markets and the economy, you are in the right place! Whether you want to know the latest national and international developments or consult the most recent economic and financial forecasts, all you have to do is select the type of analysis of interest to you from our prize-winning Economics and Strategy Group.
This monitor provides daily updates on the evolution of COVID-19 in selected countries using data available as of 8:00am EDT. We also compare the transmission of COVID-19 with that of other pandemics and offer an update of our financial conditions index for Canada.
The policy update, for its part, offers an overview of the monetary and fiscal measures implemented by central banks and governments around the world to mitigate the economic effects of the virus.
The Weekly Economic Watch offers a commentary on developments in the economic environment as depicted by economic indicators released during the week and on indicators to be published in the upcoming week. Trends in a wide range of international, national and provincial economic and financial indicators are also presented.
Each month, the World economic outlook, in particular the North-American context, is reassessed. It also includes forecasts for the major economic and financial variables.
- U.S.: When will we return to pre-pandemic employment?
- World: What is the new normal for the CPI goods?
- Canada: Prime-age labour force participation is at a record high
- Canada: Buy the S&P/TSX if you want to be protected from inflation
- U.S.: Pressure on the core CPI is still there
- World: Food prices fuel stagflation scenario
- Loonie plummets despite surging energy prices
- Equities: Value stocks should benefit from QE tapering
- Canada: Variable rate mortgages have never been more popular
- Canada: Household formation set to rebound in 2021
- Canada’s provinces giving 110%
- A billion here, a billion there… after a while we’re talking real money!
- The cash is the cash but…
- In Focus - Tightening tendencies (Part B)
- Quebec’s mid-year update in 10 charts
- $92bln+ combined improvement for provinces (and we’re still counting)
- What the deuce is going on in 2s?
- Canada’s fiscal ace up the sleeve
- In Focus - Tightening tendencies (Part A)
- A bond market take on ‘supply side’ mania
A detailed listing with links to every Market View report published this year
An analysis on a current economic or financial topic.
- (2021/11/30) Canada can't afford to bleed capital like this
- (2021/08/17) Debt servicing costs
- (2021/08/13) In Focus - Ballot Ballet: A 2021 federal election primer in four acts
- (2021/04/30) Has the BoC disavowed its own core inflation measures?
- (2020/07/24) Canadian Labour Market: Devils in the details
- (2020/06/29) Is a second lockdown inevitable?
- (2020/06/01) Canada’s official reserves: Time for a review
- (2020/05/27) Is Canadian residential real estate teetering on the brink?
- The Looming Global Water Crisis: An Update
- Supply chain challenges: From just-in-time to just-in-case
- Will Afghanistan reshape the global and U.S. political landscape?
- Will China-U.S. tensions reverse the trend of ever-greater financial ties?
- Will the leftward tilt of Chile and Peru hurt copper production?
- The monumental challenge of trying to hit climate targets
- Biden will be forced to scale-back plans for additional spending in 2021
- Could China’s digital currency challenge the greenback?
- China and the United States continue their pursuit of greater technological self-sufficiency
- Is a carbon border tax inevitable?
Benchmark Reform Update
This monitor provides a comprehensive picture of the past, present and future issues surrounding the LIBOR transition and broader benchmark reform underway across international financial markets.